Thursday, November 27, 2014

Things to be Thankful For


      Pelicans at White Rock                                                                                        photo by Sandra Hicks

FYI...Sandra worked for DPARD at White Rock Lake.  She took this photo and shared it with me.  Sandra has passed away, but this is a good memory that I will carry whenever I think of her.  We shared a love of the lake and horses too. 

At times it seems that a list of things we are thankful for is what is needed, especially right now.  At other times, it is a helpful reminder to just get through another day.  We all have some things we are thankful for, truly thankful for...good health, family, friends, living where we do and more.

 Things I am thankful for:

* Finally getting it done...the book that is, it has been a long-time in the making and the time was right.  Turned out to be very true because George passed away soon after the first draft was completed.  He did get to read it and give it his stamp of approval.  For this I am very grateful.

* Thankful that George's wife, Shirley and I found the right person to help us in the endeavor to get this book out there so that everyone can connect with the beauty of White Rock Lake Park and its inhabitants.  Thank you Mary Beth!

* Big Spring and the Pembertons, so very thankful that both are now part of my life.  They are synonymous with the vast history of the Great Trinity Forest.
* The effort to preserve Big Spring in the Great Trinity Forest has accomplished many things, one of which is the environmental training of City staff which is indeed something to be thankful for.  Keeping my fingers crossed it sticks, but you can understand if I'm just a tad bit skeptical ; )

* Thankful especially for all of those who have stepped up to lead the way for preserving the natural open spaces left in our City for the next generations to enjoy and learn from.  The urban environment can indeed be green, sustain wildlife and natural areas. Remember when TPWD wanted to make the GTF into a state park?   Why can't we have the best natural park in the nation, especially since we have already been told it is an environmental wonder?

* Thankful that my son and I had a great meal at La Madeline's today with turkey and dressing.  Thank goodness they were open for us today.  I am so very grateful for that!  No dishes to wash, no food to cook, relaxing and great conversation.  Spending time with him is a joy!  He is one smart guy! Gee, wonder where he got it from.... ; )

Enjoy your day with your family and friends!  Don't forget to take that walk, it is a gorgeous day....see you out on the trail!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog! In an effort to control internet trolls and robots, I review comments, and once I know you're a real, live person, I will approve your comment for posting!

Thanks again for your interest in my wonderful hometown, Dallas, Texas!!

Becky Rader